Saturday, October 6, 2012

So What's This All About, Anyway?


Welcome to the Blog!


I created this blog to be a fun little addition to my interactive fantasy novel, which you can find here.  This is for those of you who were wondering, "Do my story choices really matter?" or "What would've happened if a different story choice had ended up winning?"

This is going to be a work constantly in motion, because there are choices even in the very first chapter that will have an impact on things wayyyyyyyyy down the line.  Of course, I'm not going to tell you what's going to happen later in the story!  For now, I'll write up what I can safely tell you, and then add a "there is more to this choice" blurb at the end of each option.  As secrets begin to reveal themselves in later chapters, I'll go back and add to the original choices as needed, so by the end of the story, you'll know exactly how you helped to shape it!

Make sense?

What is an Interactive Fantasy Novel?


Did you ever read those "Choose Your Own Adventure" books when you were growing up?  They were pretty nifty; they were written in second person narrative ("You look around and see this."), and after every couple of pages, they let you make a choice as to where you wanted to go or what you wanted to do.  For example, "If you want to take the left road, turn to page 12.  If you want to take the right road, turn to page 17."  They were adventures that you could play over and over, where you were the star.  They were interactive books.

My story, "To Embrace the Sun," is much like those books, only instead of taking the second person narrative, we are following the adventures of a set hero in the story: Taj.  Depending on the choices the readers make, the next chapters will take Taj through any number of adventures. Certain things in the world will still happen, whether or not Taj is there to witness them firsthand; it is a living, breathing world, and Taj is just one person.

I am aiming to post a chapter every two to three weeks; likely it will start off every three weeks, simply because this month is incredibly busy for me.  With each new chapter posted on JukePop Serials, I will also post a quick blog update here with the entries for the previous chapter.

That does mean that you won't see any "What Would've Happened"s until Chapter 2 is posted.

A Little Extra


My first draft of "To Embrace the Sun" started off with the storyteller relating the full tale of the creation of the Acen; it was later edited out to give a more immediate introduction to the main character.  Since I am taking my time in writing the chapters this month, I wanted to give you something new to read.  

Here, then, is the creation myth of the Acen.

No comments:

Post a Comment